Pages

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Know your subject - pushing the model further

As I go deeper into my model, it seems that I don't know a lot of things about solfege, for instance, I never wandered if the G key represented an octave in particular ; when you read a score you focus on understanding if this little dot is a A or a B, the actual height of the note comes naturally when you play.
In fact it does, a quick browse to wikipedia, tells me that the G key represents the G note just below the A 440 Hz wich is the common reference frequency in western countries.
At the time I write this bill I already had the chance to talk about it with my singing teacher who has a great experience in music, it appears that at some point in the history of solfege, keys were used to determine wich instrument the score is intended to. From the G placed on the bottom line telling the score is for french violin to the F on the top line reserved to very low tones of basson.

The important thing here is that you cannot see the whole implications of your design with only a partial knowledge of your subject, even if it seems you know everything you need, you could significantly improve the scope of your reflexion throught some researches.

No comments:

Post a Comment