Pages

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Installing haXe/NME

To get started I will need every components as listed on the haxenme.org get startted page.

When you think of the many hours you're going to pass coding your project it appears that choosing a good IDE is a primordial need. If you ever coded haXe with flashDevelop it's possible you'll never drop it as for now it's the best evironment for haXe, providing both good code completion and every basic feature you expect from a code editor ; well there are still the Vi and Emacs guys who will prefere the warm and comforting black background of the console.

FlashDevelop only runs on windows, and as i'm a linux amateur every computer at home runs a linux distro, currently I have no native windows. Hopefully I keep a windows XP virtual machine with enought ressources, so that will be my environment.

For now on just follow the get startted page on haxenme.org.
Now let's install haXe, I already have it but just to be sure I'll make a fresh install from the haXe site. This was quick ! Now for the libs, we need hxcpp and nme (> haxelib install hxcpp, >haxelib install nme), this takes only a few seconds. If I'm to compile for windows native I'm to install the Visual Studio environment, let's download it... and wait... and wait..., well at last it's here, but I can't install it yet as it requires SP3 to work on windows XP, mine is a no SP so back to a long download, run the SP3 installation and restart the VM. Installing VS takes a while, and requires 3 reboots.

While installing let's make some assets, I know I will need things like a Sol key and note graphics.
Using Flash Authoring would be great, I'm not an computer artist but Flash is simple enought for me to produce fair quality assets. But I did not invest in a liscence yet, not sure if I will someday, so I'll use inkscape and see how it goes.

Time goes and I produced the three most important assets : a Sol key, a quarter note and it's equivalent in red, obviously it took me more time that what VS required.

Finaly my environment is all set and I already have some assets.

No comments:

Post a Comment