I put my project asside last night to test the new Facebook functionalities.
If you didn't followed Facebook actuality or don't care, this thursday in Palo Alto Mark Zuckerberg presented Timeline during the f8 conference.
Timeline is the new profile that will be enabled for Facebook users in the next 3 weeks.
One of the most interesting stuff that will appear with Timeline is the ability for applications to track actions of the user and put them on their profile. It's the evolution of the controversed 'like' button. Now you cannot only 'like' something you can interact with something, for example you can tag the fact that you read a book, listen a song or watch a film.
I'll not discuss the ethic of this new feature, I'm not a big Facebook fan, but technically it's interesting as you can create meaningfull publications for the users by connecting nodes of the Facebook social graph, and more important, create new nodes.
One other very interesting stuff Facebook added recently is, thanks to a partnership with cloud deployment plateform Heroku, the ability for a developer to quickly go live at no cost by signing in to a Heroku account and getting a free server either running PHP, Ruby, Python or Node.js with a 5Mo database. Heroku uses git to retreive and post your application so you get both version control and automated publishing.
Thanks to this you're up and running in 5 minutes and you can focus on your code, really neat.
If you're interested in how to create such application, I'll tell here how I get into my first OpenGraph app called codeTracker, that will allow users to tell on their profile how much time they spent coding and what they are coding.
No comments:
Post a Comment